Tuesday, August 15, 2006

For All (Any?) Readers Across the Big Pond

Last year, the public high school where I teach became the subject of a BBC Documentary on high school proms. (Don't ask me how it won that distinction-- I think it may be some connection with the filmmaker, but I imagine the high school is now VERY different from the way she remembers it.)
26 years after graduating, Lisa Teasley, an author from Los Angeles, goes back to high school in Atlanta to follow several teenagers in the run-up to the prom. She meets Kelvin, a popular black football player who is involved in a love triangle with Katherine and Laura, who are both white. This is the American South, and Lisa explores the issues of race as well as sexuality. ....

The programme gives an insight to the world of American teens and looks at their hopes, dreams and aspirations as they leave behind the sheltered world of high school and embark on their journey into adulthood.
If you live in the UK and would like to see what all the fuss is about (apparently you don't have proms?!? You mean you never had to endure the agony?), then watch BBC4 Wednesday night, August 16th, at 10:00 p.m. (I imagine it repeats if you miss it.)

Thankfully, I made myself scarce when the cameras came by, but I would like to know how it turned out. I believe one of my students was featured. Also, apparently there are no school buses in England, so the crew had to stage a scene in which students exit from a county school bus. Fun. I do have to admit it was quite neat that the school held it's Senior Prom in the box at Turner Field, home of the Atlanta Braves. It might be worth watching just for that.

The filmmaker promises to send us DVD's once it becomes available on BBC World, but I'm just impatient...and curious! If anyone watches this, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment