Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Strawberry Shortcake 2.1


As part of a complete modernization, Strawberry Shortcake's losing her old look, and her faithful sidekick is getting the axe. Her furry, cuddly Custard the Cat is being replaced by a cell phone as Strawberry's favorite thing to interact with regularly. Now she's hip. With it.

Read the entire article detailing the reinvention of Strawberry Shortcake and other beloved cartoon characters.

When I was little, I had a complete set of Strawberry Shortcake dolls, and I loved the TV show. I remember the little pink plastic cat Custard had such a sweet smell, like whipped cream. I don't imagine the cell phone will smell like anything. And I don't remember Strawberry Shortcake and her friends having any affinity for candy, as mentioned in the article. Desserts, yes, but not candy. I thought that was the point: Blueberry Muffin, Raspberry Tart, Apple Dumplin'... who doesn't love a good baked dessert?!

Hey you, faithful readers -- are you saddened by any of the changes that have been made to your favorite childhood characters? Perhaps this is one reason not to let your kids watch TV shows -- so they won't get attached to the characters and become upset when someone tries to update them 20 years later.

|

No comments:

Post a Comment