Monday, February 20, 2006

Update

Thankfully, Team Redd seems to have survived our bout with the flu. (Disclaimer: I'm not sure if I had a weaker form of Allison's flu or just a yucky cold.) Since neither of us felt like doing much productive, we ended up watching a bunch of movies over the last week. Here's my take, for what it's worth:

March of the Penguins - Who knew that penguins could be so entertaining? Despite the depressingly-desolate Antarctic setting, this documentary actually has some fairly emotional moments. Plus, Morgan Freeman has the perfect voice for narrating.

Coach Carter - This high school basketball film was decent, mainly due to Samuel L. Jackson's role as the title character. The movie had some very good emphases on the importance of discipline and respect, but the mixed messages on individualism and the portrayal of higher education as a cure-all left a bad taste in my mouth.

The Godfather - How did I manage to get this far through life without seeing this in its entirety? I'll tell you one thing: I'm going to be extra careful at toll plazas from now on.

The Thin Blue Line - I always enjoy the documentary work of Errol Morris, and this one is no exception. Providing a sobering look at the handling of a Texas murder case, this film actually helped to exonerate a man wrongly convicted of capital murder.

We also re-watched Castaway on TV. I still think Wilson should have been nominated for some kind of supporting role.

In music news, I obtained a pre-release copy of the new Caedmon's Call album, In the Company of Angels II: The World Will Sing. I might write some more about this later, but I can't deny that I was more than a little disappointed. This is not to say that it is horrible: not at all, for the album contains some good stuff. But, given the title, I was actually expecting a bit more "world" influence, especially since this album comes on the heels of Share the Well. But alas, it is not so.

No comments:

Post a Comment