Monday, January 22, 2007

The Joys of Pimento Cheese

Some things I never knew...


  • some people make it with dill pickles

  • you can't buy it in Boston (or most places north of the Mason-Dixon)

  • it is "famously" served at the Masters each year

  • Blogger's spell check prefers the traditional "pimento," while MS Word spell check accepts either version


  • Pimento cheese sandwiches have been prevalent at church potlucks, parties, and picnics for as long as I can remember. I never knew that some people grow up without this delicacy! Nestled on party trays between tasty chicken salad and yucky ham or egg salad, the delicious yellow-orange cheesy goodness spread on white bread, cut into tiny triangles, sans crust is a taste I have acquired from childhood. A few weeks ago, I had some on whole-wheat sourdough, and that, too, was incredibly delicious. However, I don't think I've had the pleasure of making my own pimento cheese. Perhaps someday soon I will take up this Southern culinary art. I'm still full from dinner, but it is making me hungry just thinking about it! Especially spread on Ritz crackers...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment