Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Glimpses of God

La Shawn Barber updates us on what those Hanson boys have been up to. I'd like to check out their most recent release, Walk, and I'm thankful for this being brought to my attention. (By the way, they all seem to have lost the blonde hair...)

All that to say, I'm not sure what to think about his new "Glimpses of God" series Christianity Today has started. At the bottom of the Hanson article, I found this statement: "Unless specified clearly, we are not implying whether this artist is or is not a Christian. The views expressed are simply the author's. For a more complete description of our Glimpses of God articles, click here." I clicked, and this is what I found:

In recent years, we've noticed an increased interest in spiritual themes in today's popular music outside the Christian subculture. We refer to these faith-inspired examples as Glimpses of God. Some of them are by Christian artists working in the mainstream music industry. Others are nonbelievers who are clearly soul searching. Regardless, these challenging examples give the listener something to think about—and an open door to discussing matters of faith with non-Christians.

I suppose it's a step in the right direction -- a major Christian publication is actually acknowledging that there is other good stuff out there than what falls under the "CCM" label, even if they do have to limit it to stuff with "spiritual themes." I'm all for that. I just wish more Christians would realize that a work of art doesn't necessarily need to have "spiritual themes" to be good, beautiful, and true. But I'll save that soapbox discussion for another day.

|

No comments:

Post a Comment