Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Grape Juice

The following involves frugality, theology, and good music. Not a bad combination, eh?

My task for today was to buy grape juice for Sunday's communion at church. Communion at our church happens quarterly and monthly (depending on the service), though we wouldn't mind one bit if we celebrated every week. :) Since Gaines' current elder duties include Worship Committee, that means planning for communion, which means checking the supply of bread and wine*, which means buying more, and as the shopper in the household, the task really fell to me. Though you should know by now that I actually had fun.

*Yeah, yeah, so it's just grape juice. I have no problem with wine, myself. But that's a conversation for another day.

With a little extra effort on my part, I picked up a 64oz bottle of Welch's for all of nine cents. Here's how I did it:

1. Check the sale pages. Brand name grape juice 2/$6 at CVS.
2. Print out a coupon from the Welch's website for $1 off.
3. Take along 2 kids and 2 Extra Care Bucks (I just happened to have).
4. Buy grape juice and only grape juice. No snacks, toys, or sunglasses!
5. Combine coupon and ECB's and pay only 9 cents out of my pocketbook.
6. Get an extra $1 ECB back because I've been using my Green Bag Tag. Woot!

The anticipation of the Lord's Supper has gotten me thinking about my favorite songs and hymns concerning the Eucharist. Either these are songs appropriate to sing after partaking (it is a celebration, after all!) or songs perhaps not fit for worship, but the lyrics still speak to some aspect of the supper.

  • Take to the World
    "Go in peace to love and to serve
    Let your ears ring long with what you have heard
    May the bread on your tongue
    Leave a trail of crumbs
    To lead the hungry back to the place that you are from"

  • Arise, My Soul, Arise (Indelible Grace Version)
    "Arise, my soul, arise,
    shake off your guilty fears;
    The bleeding sacrifice,
    in my behalf appears;
    Before the throne my Surety stands,
    Before the throne my Surety stands,
    My name is written on His hands."

  • A New Law
    "I don’t wanna know if the answers aren’t easy
    So just bring it down from the mountain to me

    I want a new law
    I want a new law
    Just give me that new law

    And don’t teach me about moderation and liberty
    I prefer a shot of grape juice
    And don’t teach me about loving my enemies
    And don’t teach me how to listen to the Spirit
    No, just give me a new law."

  • Both of Us'll Feel The Blast
    "I hope we sit together when Jesus serves the wine
    So I can look into your eyes when I taste it the first time
    And I know there's no secrets when you're sitting at that table
    But I believe we'll smile real knowingly when we read the label
    And it says "passion sacrificed to keep from going crazy."
    We'll tip our glasses to the Host who used to look so hazy
    And drink it down all sweet and slow and slip inside His mind
    And realize as it goes down- this is communion wine."


    These are some of my favorites. What are yours?

    |
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment