Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Some Things I Don't Want to Forget

  • So, the boys have really been into knock-knock jokes lately. Jacob likes the "Orange you glad?" one but can't quite get it right. Still, we usually say them in the car to pass the time on short trips. One day last week the boys and I were on our way to a morning activity at church, and I hear them laughing at each other in the back seat. Jacob's been telling knock-knock jokes but apparently Ethan wants to get in on the action. This is what I overheard:
    E: Knock-knock (while knocking on the window!)
    J: Who's there?
    E: Peachttthh. (I think he said something resembling "peach")
    J: Peach who?
    E: Knock-knock.
    J:Who's there?
    E: Peacthhh.
    J: Peach who?
    E: Peachttthhyoumumblegladmwahahahahahahaha.
    J: HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
    [Apparently, Ethan enjoys laughing at his own punchlines.]

  • Sunday morning, the boys and I made it to the early service pretty much on time. It was a rare occasion for us, but we walked into the sanctuary just past 8:30 and they hadn't sung the first song yet. I think I missed some announcements, but at least we got to sing "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing," which I've been singing to the boys since they were newborns. I think Jacob tried to sing along, but he was more interested in watching Daddy up front with his guitar. So was Ethan! The little guy was pretty good until the offering time, where he ran down the aisle to "help" me put our envelope in the plate. Plus, he started talking during the prayer, so I had to take him back to the nursery. Jacob sat during the rest of the service, alternating between Gaines and my lap, and only had a few loudly whispered questions. I do love having the boys with me in worship as much as possible. Another mom even asked me after the service, "Was the nursery worker not here this morning?" But I just smiled and told her they were right where they were supposed to be. Maybe we will try a family worship time at the 11am service in the near future.

  • Sunday afternoon the sky was blue and sunny and we thought this perfect for baseball. Mostly, Jacob and I took turns pitching and hitting, while Ethan was off in his own little world, mowing the lawn, toddling off toward the fence and back. He was good about finding stray balls and bringing them back to us. Jacob had some good hits and "ran the bases" around the three trees and back to "home plate." Somehow I never could quite get him out!

  • Sunday night we were all pretty tired and Gaines seemed to be fighting off some sickness so we stayed in and enjoyed our football sandwiches all to ourselves. We had a little picnic in front of the TV for the first quarter. Ethan just kept jumping up and down and yelling "Football!" whenever they began playing. They both LOVED seeing the "Robot!" that appeared after each commercial break. Jacob kept getting excited whenever they threw a flag. And right away (maybe in defiance of who we were cheering on) he decided he liked Green Bay the best and began rooting for them. I guess he just knows how to pick winners. (Sorry Pastor John. We tried. We really did.)

  • Monday morning, while I'm getting dressed, I hear Jacob and Ethan playing in their room. The conversation goes something like this:
    J: I've got the remote. Let's turn on the "TV" and watch, Ethan. (Pretend TV)
    E: Yay!
    J: It's the biggest game of the year. It must be....the Superbowl!
    E: (begins to leave the room after a minute or so)
    J: No, come back, Ethan! It takes longer than that! I want to watch the WHOLE THING!

    So, I go over to his door and ask him what they are doing.
    J: We're watching the Superbowl on our pretend TV, Mommy.
    Me: Who is playing in the game?
    J: Pastor John's favorite team and my favorite team, the Green Bay Packers.
    Me: So who is winning?
    J: (in all seriousness, said with his head down) Pastor John's favorite team. :(
    Me: But Daddy told me that Green Bay won the game.
    J: (lights up) Yeah! The Green Bay Packers are my favorite team. And I like the Bulldogs, too.
    [Uh-oh! I think we have some re-education ahead of us!]

    A few minutes later:
    Me: What about the Atlanta Falcons, Jacob? Don't you like them? Do you think they might play in the Superbowl next year?
    J: I don't know! Let me ask them! I'm going to call them on my pretend phone!
    (uses his hand like a pretend phone)
    Hi! Atlanta Falcons? Yeah. Uh-huh. How are you? Oh good. Are you going to the Superbowl? Yeah. Okay. Bye.
    J: (running up to me) Mommy! Mommy! The Atlanta Falcons told me they are going to the Superbowl! Yay!

    [Can someone pass that on to them from us? Okay, thanks!]

  • Later that day, we're in the car coming back from the gym or the store and Jacob asks me: "Mommy, have you heard the rhyme about Petey Piper?"
    Me: "Why no, Jacob, I don't think I have. Can you tell it to me, please?"
    J: Petey Piper sat on a hill
    eating a snack.
    A big spider came and ate it.
    And he ran away.
    Me: That's great, Jacob! Did you make that up all by yourself?
    J: Yes.
    [I'm still wondering if the spider or Petey ran away.]
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment