Monday, August 29, 2005

School Days

I have survived my first two weeks teaching high school. They say I should take it one day at a time, but it's usually more like "what will I do in the next ten minutes?" Admittedly, I've put a lot of pressure on myself at the beginning, and I'm learning from my mistakes. The mound of papers I already have to grade is a tell-tale sign that I should've spaced out my assignnemts more than a few days. I have 160 students. But that's why I love teaching, I suppose. I'm learning right along with the kids.

I think my biggest sigh of relief is that we successfully pulled off our final events for Apartment Life over the weekend. Saturday was action-packed, since I cooked for a community breakfast that morning, then we helped out some friends with THEIR Apartment Life cookout, and then that evening, we hosted a "Dive-In Movie Night" (as opposed to a drive-in) where we got a company to set up a HUGE screen by the main swimming pool and we watched The Incredibles from lounge chairs (the children were really the only ones watching from the water). Over 60 folks came out to enjoy the show, and the company brought out a dinosaur of a popcorn popper, which apparently came from a real theater. Pixar, M&M's and popcorn. Good times.

In other news, I finally finished re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which has been languishing on my bedside table for weeks. There are definitely some strong clues about events and revelations that appear in Book 6, but I'll have to save those insights for later. Mostly, I wanted to let everyone know I'm alive, enjoying my job, and am very grateful that we are taking a sabbatical from our Apartment Life duties for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment