Thursday, April 19, 2007

Comfort Food

Does anyone else find it strange that the foods we sometimes detest as kids can become some of our favorites as adults? I've never been a big fan of meatloaf or sloppy joe's, but the last two nights have found those very things on our dinner table. And we both liked them-- we really liked them! They were both easy recipes that took very little preparation, which was great considering Gaines had a cold last week and has now passed it on to me. I thought I'd share my secrets with the masses.

Souperior Meatloaf

Recipe can be found on the back of Lipton Onion Soup Mix. It's surprisingly moist and tasty. I used ground sirloin per Gaines' mom's suggestion (and since it was on sale). Served with a side of green beans and instant mashed potatoes, it was a hearty meal. The dinner preparation time took no more than 20 minutes plus the one hour for cooking, in which I advise using that time to take a nap. Also, the recipe serves eight, which leaves plenty for leftovers the next day. I saved half in the freezer for another night.

Slow Cooker Sloppy Joe's
  • 2 pounds meat (we used ground beef)
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
  • 1 cup ketchup*
  • salt and pepper to taste

*I substituted BBQ sauce b/c it'a what I had available

DIRECTIONS:
Brown meat and drain. Put onion, sugar, vinegar, cumin, chili powder, garlic, mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper in slow cooker and mix well. Add meat and stir together. Cook for a minimum of 6 hours on low setting. Serve with sharp cheddar cheese on toasted whole-wheat buns. Serves 8-10.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment