Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pulitzer Ponderings

Natasha Trethewey is one of my favorite Southern poets, so I was delighted to hear that she won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry for her most recent collection, Native Guard. I've attended two of her readings, the latest which included poems from the winning collection. I look forward to purchasing a copy soon to enjoy all of the poems. To those new to her work, I gladly recommend Domestic Work and Bellocq's Ophelia. Perhaps someday I might find a way to take a creative writing class from her at Emory.

Perhaps I also should check out the writings of Cormac McCarthy. I've heard good things. And it was nice to see a fellow Alabamian win. Who knew the world of community colleges could ellicit such intrigue? I was surprised at Cynthia Tucker's award, but perhaps I should give the AJC another chance? On second thought--nah. There are better things to read.




No comments:

Post a Comment