Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Return of Darius Rucker

I am probably the last person on the planet to know about this, but I thought I'd share anyway.

My CD player is on the fritz. I have no iPod. So, when I'm driving by myself, my guilty pleasure is to check out the country music stations on the radio, especially on long trips to Alabama where the other radio stations are hard to come by. Usually I just flip through and keep going.

Last week, though, while returning from a trip with the boys (they were both asleep), I heard a country song that just blew me away. I actually cried. I haven't cried while listening to a song on the radio in ages. I think this is what mommyhood has done to me.

And who do I have to thank for this? That's right, Darius Rucker, the fomer lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish, belting out "It Won't Be Like This for Long." Man, am I a sucker for a sappy song about kids growing up too fast.

Apparently, he now has two #1 singles and made an appearance on Oprah, which was re-run today. I only know this because I providentially turned on the TV just as he was about to perform. (I promise I don't regularly watch Oprah. It just seems everytime I do, it is blog-worthy.) Were those kids in the video his? I feel old.

It makes me wish I could find both my old Hootie albums. Those really take me back to 1994.

I think I have found a country album I might actually want to buy. Oh, heaven help us.

|

No comments:

Post a Comment