Wednesday, February 16, 2005

haiku

For some horrendous reason, I have not been a frequent visitor to Andy Gullahorn's website. What was I thinking? I have previously sampled the comic genius that waits only a mouse-click away. Again, what was I thinking?

Anyway, one of my favorite features of the site is the page for Haiku Concert Reviews. As Andy notes, "I thought I would give reviews of the shows that I do on the road. The problem is that every show is pretty much the same. Sound Check. Dinner. Play. Talk. Pack Up. Go somewhere else. So I thought I would highlight my fondest memories of each place through poetry."

One of my faves:
11-05-04 – Atlanta, GA

Drum Set
My son is growing up
To be Neal Pert
(Unfortunately, he mispelled Neil Peart's name. But points for effort, eh?)
12-12-04 – Nashville, TN

Ryman Auditorium
Proof that Andrew Peterson
Is a country singer
Now, haiku purists might immediately be wondering how these can be considered haiku proper, as the 5/7/5 structure has been flagrantly abandoned by Mr. Gullahorn. This did not escape his attention.
Just so you know, I did my research on the Haiku. I understand that the form is 5-7-5. However, many of the things I read stated that contemporary Haikus did not follow that form strictly. I quickly realized that the poems would be much more interesting if I didn't follow the form - and that I could write them much faster. So that is really what it comes down to.

I know Haikus are
Normally five seven five
But I'm not normal

Let the good times roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment