Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The Soundtrack of My Life?

Recently, my friend Peter was telling me that Japanese scientists and engineers are performing serious studies on the way that "chi" interacts with technology. That is, they are trying to find a correlation between people's moods/mental states and functionality of machines and devices. It sounds kind of crazy, but then again, I'm sure we can all think of anecdotal evidence of a car that would only crank for its owner, or maybe that copier at work that always seems to jam when you use it (although no one else in the office seems to have any problems). Maybe it's just imagined. Or maybe there's some latent resistentialism. I guess we'll have to wait until they finish those studies. (Hopefully it will distract them from trying to disturb the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.)

Anyway, I have dinner with some guys from church on Monday nights. During the course of last night's dinner, someone mentioned "summer nights," and I made a reference to the old-school Van Halen song by that name. Later in the conversation, a John Mayer song came up, and someone else made reference to the fact that his song lyrics often demonstrate his Atlanta roots.

What does this have to do with anything? After dinner, I got in the car to drive home, and I selected "Shuffle" on my iPod. What were the very first two songs that it played (out of the 2000+ that I've loaded onto it)?

"Summer Nights" - Van Halen
"Why Georgia" - John Mayer

Creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment