Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Grief

Always and everywhere it is a hard thing to lose a relative to death. Both of my grandmothers have passed away in the last four years. I lost an adopted Atlanta grandfather last November. And now, as of yesterday morning, my Uncle Joe has gone on to be with the Lord.

Everyone keeps asking me how I am. "Fine," I answer. But who can really say? Death hits hard. It is the last enemy. And so we grieve.

But it is a right and good and joyful thing to give thanks and praise in all times and seasons to our Lord and Savior. Therefore, I am thankful that my uncle is no longer suffering from the cancer that took his life.

I am also thankful for his unique life: the faith he was given, his interest in genealogy that took him to Paris to find our ancestor's name in Notre Dame Cathedral, his love of Confederate history, his too-big heart. He will be missed.

The funeral is on Friday, and so we will be driving to Alabama to celebrate his life in Christ-- as well as to mourn. "For everything there is a season..."

I know some of our "real life" friends read this blog. And if you do, you may know I have been planning to walk in a local Relay for Life in May, and have told stories to my students about my relatives who have suffered from cancer, including my uncle Joe. My mom is a cancer survivor. I know many, many friends who have relatives affected by cancer. If you are one of those people who feel like you absolutely must do something tangible, I would ask that you make a donation to the American Cancer Society using this website. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment