Sunday, January 23, 2011

Kindred Grit

This is trivial, but today I need some trivial.

Last Monday, we had the rare opportunity to go on a date -- dinner and a movie out! My mom was visiting for a few days and offered to keep the boys, and Gaines was off from work. So we headed to Smyrna and ate a fabulous Mexican meal at The Border and then stopped over at the AMC theater where we had a free movie ticket (those AMC points do add up eventually, even if you only see about 2 movies a year in the theater!).

So, we watched True Grit. Amazing. Scenic. Redemptive. Yeah, it's rough and there was a moment I had to cover my eyes because I hate imagining pain, but oh my goodness it's the best movie I've seen in a while. Those Coen brothers outdid themselves. I don't even want to watch the original. I just want to read the book. And then go see the movie again.

Still, the entire movie I kept thinking that Hailee Steinfeld, the actress who plays 14 year-old Mattie Ross, reminded me a little too much of another child actress, Megan Follows, otherwise known as Anne of Green Gables from the 1985 film. Both characters showed great tenacity, pride, determination, and the ability to wear braids and yet be taken seriously. Plus, I thought that they sounded alike, too. They both had great diction.





I know I'm not alone in this.

|

1 comment:

  1. OMG just watched True Grit with the family and all I could see was Hailee Steinfeld looking, sounding, and acting like Megan Follows as Anne of Green Gables. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete