Thursday, March 04, 2004

Sense and Sensibility

So I finished the book on Monday night, and over the past few evenings I've been watching the DVD I got for Christmas. I loved Emma Thompson's adaptation-- the script took so many great lines from Austen-- but the one weird part was watching Alan Rickman play Colonel Brandon. After seeing him as the eerily creepy-yet-possibly-good Professor Severus Snape in the Harry Potter films, it was hard not to picture him similarly in Sense and Sensibility. Somehow, it just takes all the romance out of his matchup with Marianne...

Oh, and was it just me, or are all the actors too old to be playing their characters? Wasn't Elinor supposed to be about twenty-five and Colonel Brandon in his mid-thirties? Emma Thompson was 36 and Rickman was almost 50 when they filmed S&S. That's the "magic" of Hollywood for you, I guess. Or perhaps they were trying to make the film comparable with today's aging bachelors and bachelorettes?

No comments:

Post a Comment