Monday, January 23, 2006

Congratulations, Alexa!

One of my sorority sisters, Alexa Jones (pictured below, left), was the second-runner up in the Miss America pageant this weekend. She has been competing in pageants for years, and I know she represented her home state well. A few years ago, to demonstrate her heart for service, she started a non-profit organization to promote arts education in Alabama schools. Though she didn't get the crown, I know just being in the top three must have been the thrill of a lifetime.

Whatever you may think of pageants, it certainly takes poise, intelligence, talent, and a knack for public speaking to achieve such a position. She started as a Junior Miss (like me!), graduated from BSC with an English major/art minor (also like me!) and is now pursuing an M.A. in Art History at UAB and has already won over $13,000 in scholarships at the state level (NOT like me). She also dances beautifully. I just had to give a shout out for a fellow Wiregrass girl (she's originally from Andalusia), English major, and art lover. Way to go, Alexa! (Edited for updated factual information...I'm so behind!)

No comments:

Post a Comment