Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Birthday Wishes All Around

Today is the birthday of one of my most brilliant and best friends, Jennifer, seen here in a photo from her wedding shower back in January. She is also a newly licensed Texas pharmacist, so if you need some drugs, um...I won't finish that.

Happy birthday! I hope you are having a fabulous time! Your belated card is in the mail because I am forgetful even though I've been looking foward to this for a while because THIS YEAR my card was going to make it on time since you are actually in the U.S. Oops.



Today is also the birthday of Mr. Maurice Sendak.

Over the last few months we have greatly enjoyed reading a copy of Where The Wild Things Are, which we acquired at our local library and desire to own. I have to return it soon and I am sad. I'm not sure if I ever appreciated this work much as a kid, but certainly now I am loving its simple brilliance. Jacob likes it, too.

Did you ever notice how the book reads like a poem? And how the illustrations only take up a small part of the page in the beginning but then grow and grow until the book becomes the wild world all around in the middle and then shrinks again as Max sails back through a year to his room?

If you also appreciate the genius that is Maurice Sendak's book, please check out this great new tribute blog called Terrible Yellow Eyes. Today they posted a whole slew of illustrations in homage to Max's adventure. If I had the time, I would make one of my own.

Did you know that someone has made a feature film of the book, too? This has promise.

|

No comments:

Post a Comment