Saturday, May 09, 2009

Poems for Mothers

As heard today on the Writer's Almanac:

To My Mother
by Wendell Berry

I was your rebellious son,
do you remember? Sometimes
I wonder if you do remember,
so complete has your forgiveness been.

So complete has your forgiveness been
I wonder sometimes if it did not
precede my wrong, and I erred,
safe found, within your love,

prepared ahead of me, the way home,
or my bed at night, so that almost
I should forgive you, who perhaps
foresaw the worst that I might do,

and forgave before I could act,
causing me to smile now, looking back,
to see how paltry was my worst,
compared to your forgiveness of it

already given. And this, then,
is the vision of that Heaven of which
we have heard, where those who love
each other have forgiven each other,

where, for that, the leaves are green,
the light a music in the air,
and all is unentangled,
and all is undismayed.


"To My Mother" by Wendell Berry, from Entries. © Pantheon Books, 1994. Reprinted with permission.


Another poem, found while searching for something else, but entirely appropriate since I was up with Jacob at 3am last night:
Little Sleep's-Head Sprouting Hair in the Moonlight
by Galway Kinnell (one of my favorite poets)

You scream, waking from a nightmare.

When I sleepwalk
into your room, and pick you up,
and hold you up in the moonlight, you cling to me
hard,
as if clinging could save us. I think
you think
I will never die, I think I exude
to you the permanence of smoke or stars,
even as
my broken arms heal themselves around you.

Read the rest of the poem at this poetry society page.


|

No comments:

Post a Comment