Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Happy Shrove Tuesday

Today is commonly known as "Fat Tuesday"-- the last chance for all the parties and rich foods before Lent. And, contrary to popular belief, Mardi Gras actually began in south Alabama. Mobile, to be precise. Revelry began there long before the parades through the French Quarter.

A lady I work with hails from that southern port, (in my home state, I might add) and brought back beads and masks, bread and crawfish, to help us celebrate. At lunch our bowls overflowed with gumbo and jumbalaya, rice and king cake. The break room burst forth in gold, purple and green.

So, it's become a pagan holiday. So what? It's FUN. No, I'm not planning on going to New Orleans this time of year anytime soon, but one thing I've learned from my year in the semi-corporate world is that celebrations-- of any kind-- are good! (Maybe it's just all the internet surfing. Meh.) Whatever the reason, we're taking back Fat Tuesday for the LORD, the Ruler over all the earth, of parades, Mardi Gras balls, and chocolate Moon Pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment