Friday, February 13, 2004

Reshelving Duties

Yesterday evening I finished Christian Mythmakers. It was an interesting foray into the idea of mythopoeia, and how certain authors build upon the foundations of previous fantasies to develop their own worlds and stories. It featured critical synopses of works by John Bunyan, George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Madeline L'Engle, among others. If you've ever read any of these authors or just want to know a little bit more about them, I'd suggest checking it out. Be careful, though, because it might make you want to add twenty-something more books to your reading list. I know I sure have a lot of catching up to do! I'm starting with a book I got for Christmas: Lewis' Till We Have Faces. It's hailed by most as his masterpiece. I've been wanting to read this book for years, but never made time until now.

I also removed The Purpose Driven Life from my list. I never made it past day 14, and I haven't picked it up in weeks, so I felt it was time to go. (Just so you know, we did not purchase it ourselves-- it was a gift from a ministry we're involved with, and was supposed to be a reading assignment. But they haven't mentioned anything more about it lately, so I'm retiring it to the
"secret reading" bookshelf--the one that no one sees.) Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment