Sunday, February 29, 2004

Panthers in the Big Time!

Yesterday, my alma mater, Birmingham-Southern College, scored their first Conference Championship since becoming eligible for NCAA Division I. The BSC Men's Basketball Team won 67-55 over VMI, to claim 1st place in the Big South Conference regular season. We have to wait until March 14th to see if they get a bid for the NIT Tournament, but I cannot imagine the elation if they do.

Also, I can proudly say I helped tutor one of the stars of the team, Shema Mbyirukira, the 6'11" Junior Center whose family hails from the Democratic Republic of Congo. He often came in during my shift at the Writing Center...and it was fine while we were sitting at a table together, but when he stood up-- needless to say-- I was quite intimidated by his height.

No comments:

Post a Comment