Friday, February 27, 2004

Reading is fun

Alright, chalk up another finished book for '04. I'm not sure if I'll catch up with Allison, but a valiant effort will be made. I just finished Reforming Marriage by Doug Wilson, and I enjoyed it. It was actually given to us a few months back by some friends who got married in January. They really benefited from it during their pre-marital readings. Allison read and enjoyed it back then, and I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. Wilson makes some really convicting points, and it was a breath of fresh air. (We got a large quantity of Christian marriage books as wedding gifts, and they all say basically the same things.) I appreciated the book's emphasis on marriage modeled after Christ and His Church in the true sense, not the sentimental depiction that we usually see. The call to responsibility, headship - husbandry! - is sometimes overwhelming to contemplate, but thankfully, God is gracious.

The big question is, what's next on my list? I've got so much to choose from. C.S. Lewis always said to balance out reading new books with re-reading older ones. So, I think I'll be inspired by Jack and start my re-read of the Narnia books. In the right order. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment